Tuesday, March 11, 2014

WISHING TO LIVE

Survival.

We all want to survive. We want to sustain our lives as long as possible.  Yet, this word comes off the tongue with such a biter taste.  It seems as though there is something wrong and missing with this word.  There should be something more....

Living.
Now there is a word I wish I could get behind and truly do.  To live implies that there is a greater meaning to all things.  Something greater than merely surviving.  A defining measure to survival--of more than eating, breathing and sleeping.  

Many years of my alcoholic life I just survived.  The driving force was to find that next drink.  Daily chores, work, and minimal family obligations were only a means to get to that next drink. If I went through these actions no one would be the wiser of what was going on in my life.  I could continue to survive as a drunk, and give the appearance of living. 

While my body was surviving, death was slowly eating at my heart and soul.  There was no life.  There was o living.  To know what joy and happiness were was an impossible feat.  These things had left so early in my drunkenness that all I could do was survive and fake the emotions of pleasure.  The sad thing is that in trying to fool others, I started to fool myself. 

As sobriety came, I started to find some small things that brought a small measure of happiness.  Nothing big.  Nothing that most normal people would get excited over.  I was excited!  More than that I was elated.  I was learning how to live. I was starting to move past mere survival into something more.  

--------------------
Now that my relationship of 12 years in ending and I am on my own again, I am back to survival.  I am back to eating, breathing, and sleeping.  There is no joy or happiness.  I don't know what to do to enjoy life.  I just know how to survive.  I give a smile.  I give a laugh.  I try to cover the fact that my soul feels as though it is dying again.  A place that I did not want to return to.  This dying was a major driving force in my finding sobriety, but to get out of it now, I don't even know where to begin.  

But...

I can survive well.
I can keep my body alive.
In hopes of being able to live comes again.

I want to learn how to live.  I want to have meaningful and enjoyable friendships.  I want to find fun and enjoyment in doing something.  However, right now all of this eludes me.

For now and as in the past---

I am only a survivor until I can learn to live.  So, as I learned in A.A., I will take this pain and sadness one day at a time until I can find some strength and encouragement and something to bring life to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment