Saturday, January 18, 2014

Thoughts on Psalm 77

Few things immediately touch my life and change the way I think or feel emotionally right off the bat.  It seems that it takes time to take hold in my heart and soul, but the other day in reading Psalm 77 I found myself changed.  Perhaps it hit me directly because it was things that I already knew, but said in a different way that led to a deeper understanding of where I am going and what I am trying to do.  And it seems all I am trying to do is find God and in Him maintain sobriety.

V. 1  I cried out to God for help;
I cried out to God to hear me.

To truly cry out to God is something that starts from your very core.  It is not something that comes about from a circumstance in the outside world, but a change that starts within you.  It is in the depths of pain and despair for God to help, but in order to help it must start for God to hear us. Your soul is at the point of pain that nothing, and I mean nothing, within this world will give this pain any ease.  Your body is all in knots and just don’t know what to do.   All you can hope for is for God to hear something and do something for you. 


v. 4  You kept my eyes from closing;
I was too troubled to speak.

Long days and sleepless nights are a result of pain and anguish.  Those that are at peace with themselves and God they find it easy to relax and sleep.  Those that have lost all peace, or even hope of peace, are in constant search of peace for that is what the heart is truly longing for.  In the late night hours your mind knows that something is not right, but still not sure what it is or what to do about it.  Yet at some point there is a stirring within you that remembers something of a god, but still no peace comes from that.   There is still something greatly missing and deep within, with all sincerity start to question:

v. 7 “Will the Lord reject forever?
Will he never show his favor again?

This is a deep missing of God in your life.  There was a point that He seemed to be there is some form or fashion, but now there is nothing.  Questioning and doubting why He is gone will also add to the sleepless nights.  Not only is He gone, but as lying there you start to wonder if He will ever come back.  The thoughts of wondering why the blessings, love, and compassion have disappeared when we have been told that these are the character traits that make him God,  but now we are wondering if that is true.  These add to the doubts and stress of sleepless nights.  Brings the thoughts to this:

v. 12  I will meditate on all your works
and consider all your mighty deeds.

Being lost as to who this God is, I can either wonder who this God is or I can meditate upon Him and figure him out.  Remembering the things that we were taught in our youths and the things we have read of His greatness we find him to be powerful and great and leads us to find that:

v. 15 With your mighty arm you redeemed your peoples
The descendants of Jacob and Joseph.

To think that God redeems His people is a great thought.  We have seen the power and miracles that He is able to do, and in those things we have found Him to be holy, but yet to come close to Him and be with Him still seems to be a loss.  With all the great and mighty things God can do, it still leads to fear because we do not truly know how to get there.  With the power being visible and if we do not have direction in how to get to God it would be very easy to live in fear of His power and not do anything, but there is hope:

v. 20 You led your people like a flock
by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

We all need that spiritual advisor to get to God and to find what it is that He requires of us. 

As an addict these are perhaps the first few things I did to find help in leaving that life behind.  I had so many doubts and uncertainties about myself and God and how everything fit together.  Thanks to a sponsor and other spiritual leaders I have been able to find some better ways to live.  So whether you are the addict or looking to help an addict, please consider these thoughts to find the true peace and comfort that is needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment